Banga Soup is a very popular west African soup. You will find different recipes of Banga Soup in countries like Cameroon , Ghana, Guinea , Sierra Leon and Nigeria. The recipe of this delicious goodness varies from country to country and from tribe to tribe. I have customise some my recipes you can either follow my method or use mine to add more to yours.
The Ghanaians call this soup Abenkwan , the Cameroonians call it Banga Soup and it’s accompanied with kwacoco and a native delicacy to the Bakweri people of the Southern Cameroons. The Nigerians also calls it Banga Soup and use a scented leaf Called ugwu to garnish their own version of this soup. The Ibos of Nigeria callers it Ofe Akwu and the Urhobo people calls it Izuwo ibiedi in the Isoko language. It is a native delicacy of the Niger Delta and South Eastern parts of Nigeria. It goes well with fufu , kwacoco, garri and white boiled rice.
We now have palm nut cream in the shops so this actually simplifies the traditional method which has to undergo the process of making the Banga cream. In this recipe I have got ready made canned palm nut cream so that makes the whole process shorter and easier.
After Banga Soup is done, we usually see lots of palm oil floating at the top. We can actually drain that natural red palm oil and keep for future use.
Click here to view video of this recipe: 👉🏽👉🏽👉🏽👉🏽https://youtu.be/QjW-kEW5WWE
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Course: Main dish
- 800 g of palm nut extract or palm nut cream
- 4 medium diced onions .
- 1 cup of crayfish
- A bowl of smoked chicken
- A bowl of smoked fish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3- 5 Maggi cubes depending on your taste
- 2 habanero peppers
- A handful of any vegetable of your choice preferably bitter leaves.
- Place diced onion in a food processor and blend with a cup of water. Leave 1/4 onion to place inside the soup.
- Blend crayfish in a food processor with a cup of water and set aside.
- In a medium pot , place tinned palm nut extract and stir.
- Add 4-5 cups of water inside and stir at it begins to simmer
- Add smoked chicken and fish .
- Add onion paste and crayfish paste , it will thicken the soup . Then allow to simmer for 10 and that will be it .
- If you see oil at the top of the soup, them the soup is ready