The secret of this perfect marriage between beans and corn is leeks and “country onion. These two ingredients gives this one pot dish a taste to die for. This delicious goodness is one of my favourite.I ate more than enough in the boarding school .
There are two methods of preparing this one pot dish, some people prepare a stew base by frying onion, tomato and the rest of the ingredients and place beans and corn inside and bring to boil while others like me blend all ingredients and place unto the beans and allow to simmer . Both ways are good as long as the cornchaff taste delicious.
Let’s get started
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 1h 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Today time: 1h 50 mins
Yield : 6
- 1 large onion
- 10 garlic gloves ( you can use less it’s your choice)
- 1 cup of diced leeks or 2 sticks
- 2 diced celery sticks
- 1 tablespoon Country onion
- 1 fresh tomato ( optional )
- 1/2 cup Palm oil / vegetable oil / olive oil
- Smoked fish ( optional )
- 1/4 cup crayfish ( optional )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 habanero pepper ( optional)/ chilli
- 2 bouillon stock cubes
- 4 cups of black beans
- 4 cups of corn
- If you are using dried beans wash and soak them overnight. Or wash and steam in a pressure pot or cooker until tender. Then drain wash and keep aside
- If using canned beans, wash thoroughly and drain out the water and set aside.
- In a food processor blend all your diced spices with a glace of water and set aside. ( garlic, celery , onions, leeks.)
- In a medium or large pot, place beans and corn and combine them together.
- Set on high heat and pour blended spices into the pot and mix thoroughly
- As it simmers add salt, cubes and country onion and stir . Add oil of your choice and cover to simmer for 10mins. Open and stir.
- Add more water if needed and let it simmer for 10 more mins while stiring occasionally to ensure that it doesn’t burn.
- It will take 15 – 20 mins to be properly cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 -7 mins before serving.
- Enjoy !
Note : Please drop a note below if you will be using this recipe so that I know how yours taste. Like and share my videos . Don’t forget to subscribe on my YouTube channel.
Soak your beans and corn overnight so as to avoid cooking them for hours.