Braided Challah bread is a typical Jewish culture. It looks very beautiful and some people find it difficult to make this bread because of the braiding process which is not easy especially when braiding more than three strands. But once you can braid 4 or more strands then you will have a beautiful neatly braided Challah bread.
This Challah bread is very common during the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Its folkloric and symbolises an insight of the jewish tradition and culture.
The sweet challah made with honey and raisins symbolises joy, happiness and togetherness among the Jewish people. Those braids in the challah bread symbolizes love in the Jewish culture. 3 braids symbolizes truth, peace and justice. 12 braids symbolizes the miracle of the 12 loaves of the tribe of Isreal
Many people reading this must be wondering why the name “Challah” Actually challah is a Hebrew word used in the Bible. The Biblical meaning of challah is a sacrifice. You shall give onto the lord a portion of a gift throughout your generation which is your dough. During the Sabath the Jews have to give to their priest who is ‘Kahanim’ 1/24th one twenty – fourth of their dough every Sabath.
Aurthor: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 1h 45 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg yolk
- I teaspoon milk
- In a small bowl dissolve sugar in half cup of warm milk and sprinkle in yeast over the milk, stir and keep aside for 10 mins.
- In a different mixing bowl add sift flour, salt , eggs , oil and mix properly until smooth. Mix for 2 mins with your fingers or wooden spoon
- Now pour in your yeast and milk mixture. Mix for 7 -10 mins. It will be abit sticky. Use oil or butter to grease it and then cover and keep under room temperature for an hour. It will double in size
After an hour , it will double or triple in size. Punch down dough with your fingers.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Now roll into 4 long strands
- Braid the strands tucking strands under tge other ( watch my video)
- Conver or wrap and keep for 15 to 30 mins to rise again fir the last time.
- Now mix 1 egg yolk with a teaspoon of milk. Use a brush to give it an egg wash. This is to give it a dark, shiny crust
- Preheat your oven 180 C and bake for 25-30 mins.
The braiding might be dificult for some people but you can make 3 strands dough since its not as difficult as the 4 strands.
Let me know in the comment section how yours was. Goodluck !