The eru leaf is very popular in west Africa. It’s a wild plant found in the forest of west Africa. Its scientific name is Gnetum africanum and Gnetum buchholzianum.
Its a broth soup made with variety of meat and spinach called waterleaf simmered in the eru wild shredded leaves.
We use this wonderful wild plant to cook a very delicious vegetable soup.
In Cameroon the eru soup was originally eaten by the Bayangi people residing in the Cameroon – Nigerian boarders. When the rest of the nation tasted it and found it very delicious it became one of the most çonsumed vegetable leaves in all the regions of Cameroon.
In Nigeria , its called the afang soup eaten by the Ibibio and Efik people of Nigeria. The Igbos of Nigeria calls it Ukazi.
Eru is very nutritive and contains ami o acid, minerals. We use this leaves in cooking soups of different types. In Cameroon we use it in cooki g our deliciois eru. We shredd this leaves in very timy slices. We can use them fresh as as we can dry them up under the sun ti preserve them.
These leaves are bestsellers in West African local markets. We also have them packaged in western African shops.
In Australia sinshine coast you can find these leaf in “Morooka and Cabulture ” in the African shops. In Belgium you will find them in “Matonge’ rue Alsace Lorraine” In Paris you will easily find eru at “Chateux rouge ”
This herbs can be use for the treatment of certain diseases. In the democratic republic of Congo it is use for the treatment of nosea and as an antidote for poison intake. In Congo Brazaville it can be use for prevent the growth of warts. In Cameroon , the stem is use to lesson the effects of drunkenness.
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time :1 hr
Total time 1h 20 mins
Yield : 8
Watch full video here:👇👇👇👇
- 2 cups of Palm oil
- 1 kg Shredded eru leaves
- Shredded water leaves or spinach
- Bouillon cubes 2
- Salt to taste
- Smoked cow skin (canda )
- 2 kg Smoked fish or stock fish
- 1 Hebanero Pepper (very optional)
- 1 kg smoked meat or fresh meat
- 1 cup crayfish or dry prawns.
- 1 cup diced Spring onion (optional)
- In a pot place fresh meat and canda marinate with salt and maggi and add 3 cups of water and let it boil for 20 mins.
- In a bowl drop a bit if cooking soda pour some warm water and wash your eru thoroughly. The cooking soda will give it a nice green vour
- In your pot of meat , add well washed shredded spinach or water leave stir thoroughly and allow to simmer.
- When waterleaf is cooked add add little warwr and allow to simmer for some few mins.
- Add into it eru leaves. Crayfish, salt and ginger pepper and cubes to taste. Certain ingredients are very optional . The most important crayfish , cubes salt and oil .
- Add red pam oil. Use a very good quality red oil with no smell.
- Allow to simmer for three mins them remove from serve.
- You can serve with garri, waterfufu ( made with casava) pounded yam. You name it .